1/14/2018 BROWN IN THE SOUTH CHEF DINNER SERIES
12/7 CHALLAH WALLA VOL. 2
11/8 DINING FOR A CAUSE
7/17 - 7/23 - GEORGIA RESTAURANT WEEK
Indian Street Food in Downtown Decatur from Thrice James Beard Nominated Chef Meherwan Irani
Chai Pani literally means “tea and water.” It’s slang in India for going out for a cup of tea, a tasty bite, a snack, or “a little something.” Chai Pani can also mean a small bribe just enough to get a bite to eat. Well at Chai Pani Decatur, you won’t have to bribe us for innovative, fun, affordable and delicious Indian cuisine.
Some of the most tasty, fun and affordable food of any country is its street food and Chai Pani features chaat – crunchy, spicy, sweet, tangy, brightly flavored Indian street snacks. And since there is nothing more comforting and delicious in any culture than a home cooked meal, Chai Pani also brings you thalis – traditional family meals highlighting India’s amazing culinary diversity.
Hop in a rickshaw, your home away from home awaits.
On the first day, a hallowed voice did say, “Let there be Chaat!”
When Chai Pani Asheville first opened its doors in 2009, we couldn’t close them for several hours . . . literally. There was a line of expectant customers out the door, blocking the sidewalk, and wanting food most of them had never heard of. We can’t be sure Vishnu himself gave Chai Pani the nod of approval, but to those customers who wept over the bliss they experienced while eating a potato uttapam, what other conclusion can be drawn?
After a few years of growing and learning on our feet, at the urging of the loyal customers and happy food critics, we decided to expand to the Atlanta area, and where better than beautiful downtown Decatur?
But surely this would be a more subdued opening . . . after all, could the magic be recreated? Does lightning strike twice? After the core team swore a blood oath and agreed to move to Decatur, the work to bring the best flavors and brightest colors of India to the Atlanta area began. And somehow, word spread. Well before the doors opened, droves of hungry people and journalists called and showed up in person.
Like Indra’s mighty thunderbolt, lightning struck again in Decatur, before the paint even dried!
We are humbled by the welcome we’ve received and pledge to serve your insatiable desire for Indian street food, with our one of a kind culinary creations and libations. And don’t forget the Chai— rivers and rivers of delicious Chai. Join us for a cup.
406 W. Ponce de Leon Ave
Decatur, GA 30030
In the heart of downtown Decatur, just a few miles from Atlanta.
We have parking and no reservations are needed.
Monday - Thursday
11:30 - 3:00/ 5:30 - 9:30
Friday - Saturday
11:30 - 3:00/ 5:30 - 10:00
11:30 - 3:00/ 5:30 - 9:00
2017 HOLIDAY HOURS
Thanksgiving Day: Closed Christmas Eve: Open for lunch & closed for dinner
Christmas Day: Closed
New Years Eve: Open for lunch & dinner
New Years Day: Open for lunch & dinner
CHAI PANI has been widely reviewed and praised over the years at our Asheville location (The New York Times, GQ Magazine, Food & Wine Magazine, Fox News, New York Magazine to name a few), but we are truly humbled by the sheer quantity of articles, reviews and praise being heaped on Chai Pani Decatur. Before the doors opened, journalists, reviewers, foodies, and bloggers of every stripe were ready to put us to the test. Thank you, thank you, and thank you for the warm welcome.
ATLANTA MAGAZINE: 50 Best Restaurants
ATLANTA JOURNAL CONSTITUTION: These Couples Cook Up Something to Love at their Atlanta Restaurants
OZY MAGAZINE: Rising Stars Bring On the New Indian Cuisine
ATLANTA JOURNAL CONSTITUTION: Which Atlanta Dishes We’re Obsessed With
CHEF IRANI NOMINATED AGAIN: 2015 James Beard Foundation Award Semifinalist: Best Chef Southeast
CREATIVE LOAFING: BEST OF 2015 – Best Indian Food
MEN’S JOURNAL: 17 Summer Corn Recipes
ABOUT.COM: Chef Irani’s Atlanta Recommendations
ZAGAT: Must Try: Sloppy Jai at Chai Pani
ATLANTA MAGAZINE: BEST OF 2014– Best Indian Street Food
THRILLIST: 50 Atlanta Treats
LOCAL PALATE: Best Bites from Atlanta F&W 2015
URBAN DADDY: Alternative Burgers
ATLANTA JOURNAL CONSTITUTION: Decatur Eats
ATLANTA JOURNAL CONSTITUTION: 7 Atlanta Restaurants
USA TODAY: Georgia’s Sweetest Peach Dishes
ATLANTA MAGAZINE: Chai Pani Founder to Open Botiwalla in Ponce City Market
EATER ATLANTA: Best Atlanta Restaurants to Cater a Wedding
GARDEN & GUN: Chef Irani’s Popular Okra Fries Recipe
ATLANTA JOURNAL CONSTITUTION: Vegetarian Dishes that Satisfy
CHEF IRANI JBF NOMINATED: 2014 James Beard Foundation Award Semifinalist: Best Chef Southeast
USA TODAY: Dumplings Around the World– Chai Pani’s Samosas
JOHN MARIANI’S VIRTUAL GOURMET: Best New Restaurants in Atlanta
ATLANTA LIVING: Top 10 Restaurants of 2013
CREATIVE LOAFING BEST OF ATLANTA 2013: Best “Off-the-street” Street Food
THE DAILY MEAL: Where to Find Indian Street Food in Georgia
ATLANTA MAGAZINE: Best New Restaurants 2013
HUFFINGTON POST: Top 10 Cheap eats in the U.S.
JEZEBEL MAGAZINE: 111 Must Try TASTES
NATION’S RESTAURANT NEWS: Atlanta Tables Pushing Boundaries
FOX NEWS: Support for Tea Shop Owner’s Effort to Help Girls in India
ATLANTA EATS TV: Chai Pani is reviewed as a Feature Restaurant
COCA-COLA STORIES: Acclaimed Chefs Dish About the Family Table
CREATIVE LOAFING: 100 Dishes to Eat in Atlanta Before You Die- Kale Pakoras at Chai Pani
ATLANTA JOURNAL CONSTITUTION: Atlanta’s New Indian Restaurants
THE AEROGRAM: Chaat-Wallah-in-chief: Meherwan Irani
ATLANTA MAGAZINE: Covered Dish– A Guide to Indian Street Food
KHABAR MAGAZINE: Indian Street Food Turns Trendy in Atlanta
95.5 FM: Belinda Skelton, with Guest David Danzig of Season’s Eatings
ATLANTA JOURANAL CONSTITUTION: First Look at Chai Pani Decatur
CBS BETTER MORNINGS: Cooking Demo
ATLANTA INTOWN: First Look at Chai Pani Decatur
CREATIVE LOAFING: First Look at Chai Pani– an Oxymoron of Restaurant Wizardry
THRILLIST ATLANTA: Indian Street Food and Mango Lassis in Decatur
EATER ATLANTA: 10 Things to Know about Chai Pani, Opening Today in Decatur
SCOUTMOB: An Inside Look at Decatur’s New Indian Street Food Spot
ATLANTA EATS: Chai Pani Decatur Launch Party Review
URBAN DADDY: Spice World, Decatur’s New Indian Street Food Spot
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER & INSTAGRAM
Want to get our most recent news? We post to @chaipanidecatur on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram whenever we have exciting news to share about our specials, our amazing staff, any work we're doing with and in the community, and more!
If you want to party like it’s the end of a Bollywood movie then make your next event mindblasting with some affordable and delicious Chai Pani goodness. We can customize a catering order to fit any size and budget for everything from birthday parties and wedding dinners to chef tasting menu dinners and company events. Chai Pani has you covered.**
FOR BOOKING AND INQUIRIES, PLEASE FILL OUT THIS FORM OR CONTACT:
Need to get in touch with someone? We're happy to help.
ADDRESS: 406 West Ponce de Leon Ave, Decatur, GA 30030
HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT THE MENU OR MERCHANDISE,
OR NOT SURE WHO TO TALK TO? use the form below or contact INFO@CHAIPANIDECATUR.COM
PRESS & MEDIA
ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING PRESS CAN BE FORWARDED TO:
sign up for our email list BELOW to be entered into the sweepstakes.
YOU MUST GO TO YOUR INBOX AFTER ENTERING AND Confirm Subscription TO BE OFFICIALLY ENTERED.
Full rules for the winner of FREE YEAR of food at Chai Pani Decatur:
Should you be the big lucky winner, you are entitled to the following:
- One free meal per day: Lunch or Dinner. At your meal you are entitled to the following:
- One "starter" item from the following section of the menu:
- Side Salad only from the Salad section
- One "entree" item from the following sections:
- Indian Sandwiches and Wraps
- Thali (at dinner, choose from thali specials)
- Chaat (yes, you can double up on a chaat item if you want by getting one as a "starter" and one as a "entree")
- For The Little Ones
- Any "special" items listed on menu inserts will generally fall under "entree" items, but it is at the discretion of your server how special items are classified. They can decide to make a special item count as your "starter" if they are so inclined.
- One non-alcoholic drink
- One "starter" item from the following section of the menu:
A few other ground rules, because you know, some people just don't know how to act:
- Tip is not included in this award. You are not required to tip, but we think it's nice if you want to leave a little something for your server. You know, don't be a cheap*** ;-)
- This award can only be used at the Chai Pani Decatur location. It will not be honored at any other location regardless of affiliation with The Chai Pani Restaurant Group or not.
- This award is non-transferrable, it is only allowed to be used by the sole person who wins. You can not trade it to someone else, bequeath it to someone else, or any such thing. You can share your food within reasons with friends at the table, but you can't bring someone in to feed them and not yourself.
- This award has no cash value and is not redeemable for cash or any other thing of value for that matter. You can not sell it, see above.
- No To-Go items. You must eat in the restaurant.
- No alcoholic products whatsoever.
- No Desserts.
- Should Chai Pani close for any amount of time, or if there is a huge snowstorm and you can't make it to Chai Pani Decatur, none of that matters. You can't "accrue" extra days or some such thing. The award expires without any further use on April 2nd, 2019. End of story.
- It is fully at the discretion of Chai Pani Decatur to cancel this award should they deem it necessary at any moment, for any reason. No explanation is necessary. It is also fully at the discretion of Chai Pani Decatur to change the rules for any reason at any time with no explanation.